A lupus survivor's cerebrations on living day to day...

    follow me on Twitter

    Independence Day Anxiety or Blessing?

    With my anxieties about the impending July 4th holiday I was attracted to read threads from Lisa Cohen's discussion topic, "... Recovery from December." With much of my mobility back, Christmas 2007 was the first I'd truly celebrated in 2 years. Without last year's obstacles from family and financial problems, I shopped, decorated, visited and participated in holiday events. But the week following New Years my son and I caught the flu from visiting relatives. He was down for 2 solid weeks, but with my unconditioned immunosuppressed body....I could barely leave bed for 4 weeks. My doctor made quite a fuss, she'd gone extra steps to prevent my exposure during flu season, even giving me cell number to call her directly to avoid waiting room germs. She warned me about the reality of my illness and impaired immunity...invisible to other well intentioned family and friends. Her tough words, "They will all be at your funeral talking about what a sweet person you WERE WHEN YOU WERE ALIVE!" She advised me to set goals and boundaries reasonable to the reality of MY particular health, because the price paid will be MY OWN. My family, friends, or church members encourage me to "participate", thinking "getting out" gonna cheer me up and energize me. Usually I really want to. But too often, I push myself through events...even Sunday service. Afterwards, I find myself home all alone, paying for the "good time" with incredible exhaustion, increased neuropathic pain and mental deficits. So I pray for the Lord's discernment in all decisions about all activities! I remind myself before spontaneously following the summer crowd that will come calling this month. Wisely pace my activities according to my illness and stamina. Most important, don't get caught up in the adrenaline of other vacationers. Make healthy choices about sleep, food and drink. I've learned observing these simple boundaries actually extends my holiday fun.

    0 comments:

     

    eXTReMe Tracker